The Colorado Egg Producers Association is a small membership organization representing Colorado Egg Producers. As egg producers, we pride ourselves on providing eggs, a high quality, protein-dense food, to citizens in this great state. We are also proud to offer consumers the choice between cage and cage-free eggs.
Most importantly, we care about how all of our chickens are treated. While no system is perfect, we ensure our chickens receive the best care possible within both the cage and cage-free systems.
Colorado Egg Producers believe in proper stewardship to our communities and our chickens. We use scientific principles in our production practices to produce a safe and wholesome product for consumers while adhering to the best possible animal husbandry standards.
As an association, we were the first state to develop and implement an Animal Care Doctrine. Each of our producers and members have signed this Doctrine (see below) and are committed to the best possible care of chickens based on scientific principles and animal husbandry standards.
Each of our producers meet and exceed United Egg Producers (UEP) Animal Welfare Guidelines.
Code of Conduct
A Commitment to the Best Possible Care of Chickens Laying Eggs for Consumers
By signing this document you are committing to implementing the best possible care of chickens laying eggs for consumers. Furthermore your egg farm, its principals and employees are using scientific principles in its production practices in producing a safe and wholesome product for consumers while providing acceptable animal husbandry standards.
Acceptable animal husbandry standards are defined as striving to provide chickens:
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigor.
- Freedom from Discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to Express Normal Behavior - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind.
- Freedom from Fear and Distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
By signing the statement below you are affirming your commitment to the following:
- All chickens producing eggs in a modern production facility are provided the needed space to walk, lie down, stretch and fully extend wings without physical discomfort.
- All chickens are housed indoors to provide protection from environmental stresses and predators. Production design must offer optimal daily care and monitoring of the individual chickens.
- All chickens have access to food and water at all times including molt period.
- Beak trimming, if performed, is done by only trained staff early in the chicken’s life. Chickens may receive nutrients before and after procedure.
- Transportation and handling of chickens is performed by trained staff in a manner that minimizes stress.
- Company has written Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for emergency depopulation in the event of a disease outbreak or other disaster.
- Company has a written bio-security and animal health plan.
- Farm’s animal husbandry procedures are documented and verified by an independent third party.
- All principals and employees have signed company’s animal husbandry code of conduct affirming individual adherence to the instructions and guidelines for the best possible care of chickens laying eggs.