Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:20 to 25 minutes
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp. freshly grated orange peel
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
8 slices day-old cinnamon-raisin bread
- HEAT oven to 375°F. BEAT eggs, orange juice, sugar, milk, orange peel, vanilla and nutmeg in medium bowl until blended.
- PLACE bread in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, overlapping as needed. POUR egg mixture over bread. LET STAND, turning once, until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- PLACE bread in single layer on 2 well-greased baking sheets. BAKE in 375°F oven, turning once, until browned on both sides, 20 to 25 minutes.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with maple syrup or honey.
- Be creative. Try a different bread, such as brioche, French or Italian. Add a splash of Grand Marnier to the egg mixture. Substitute apple juice or cider for the orange juice; cinnamon for the nutmeg.
- Skillet method: Place as many soaked bread slices in lightly greased hot skillet as will fit in single layer. Cook over medium heat until golden brown and no visible liquid egg remains, turning once.
- To freeze French toast, cool slices on wire rack. Place in single layer on baking sheet and freeze 1 to 2 hours. Wrap airtight in serving-size portions; freeze up to 1 month. To reheat, unwrap slices and heat in toaster, toaster oven or on an ungreased baking sheet in preheated 375°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes.