This cute and easy Easter Bunny Cake will be the star of your holiday brunch or dinner. Learn how to make the best bunny cake !
Total: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Prep: 55 minutes
- 4 large EGGS
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp.vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- Buttercream frosting:
- 3 cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 9 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 10 Tbsp. heavy cream or milk
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 pinches fine table salt
- 4 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 7 strawberries, green tops cut off
- 2 blueberries
- Small tube or pen black gel frosting
- 1 drop red food coloring
- 1 Tbsp. edible pearls and jelly beans (or other fun sprinkles)
- PREHEAT oven to 350° F. SPRAY 2 9-inch cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. SET aside.
- COMBINE butter, canola oil and sugar in a bowl of a stand mixer. MIX until well combined and creamy.
- ADD eggs, one at a time. MIX well after each addition. STIR in vanilla extract.
- WHISK together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate medium bowl.
- ADD buttermilk, ¼ cup at a time, alternating with flour mixture and mixing with large spoon until just combined after each addition. Do not over mix.
- DIVIDE batter into prepared cake pans. BAKE for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- COOL cakes in pans for 10-15 minutes before inverting on a large tray to cool completely before frosting.
- To make buttercream frosting, MIX unsalted butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract and fine table salt; use a whip attachment, starting slowly and gradually increasing the speed until light and fluffy. ADD more cream or powdered sugar as needed to get the desired consistency.
- PLACE one whole 9-inch cake layer on large serving tray, forming the bunny’s head. CUT 2 convex shaped ears from each side of the second layer. PLACE on each side of head to form ears. PLACE concave shaped piece below head for bowtie.
- FROST bunny head and ears with white frosting, covering top and sides. PAT coconut flakes evenly over top and sides.
- SLICE one strawberry in half lengthwise. USE one half for bunny nose and place in the center of the bunny head pointy side down. ARRANGE blueberries to form eyes.
- SLICE remaining strawberries lengthwise, cutting 3-4 slices from each strawberry. ARRANGE strawberry slices on ears, cut parts facing up to detail the ears.
- DRAW mouth and whiskers with black gel frosting tube or pen.
- ADD red food coloring drop to remaining white frosting. STIR until frosting evenly turns pink. FROST bowtie. DECORATE with edible pearls and jelly beans.