An easy and impressive way to make a great dessert. Whip them up and watch them disappear!
Total: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Prep: 30 minutes
- 4 large EGGS
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup bread flour OR all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 4 cups Pastry Cream (Vanilla Custard Filling)
- Powdered sugar
- POSITION rack in lower third of oven; heat oven to 425°F. HEAT water and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat to a rolling boil. REMOVE from heat and immediately, ADD flour and salt all at once; beat vigorously until thoroughly blended. RETURN to medium heat. COOK, stirring vigorously, until mixture pulls away from sides of pan and forms a ball, 1 to 2 minutes.
- REMOVE from heat. LET STAND to cool slightly, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- ADD eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition by hand or with mixer on medium speed, until smooth. CONTINUE BEATING, if necessary, until glossy and a small quantity of dough scooped on the end of a spoon stands erect.
- For cream puffs: DROP dough by scant 1/4 cupfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto ungreased baking sheet.
- BAKE in lower third of 425°F oven until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 375°F. Continue baking until firm and golden brown, about 20 minutes longer. Immediately after baking, PIERCE side of each puff with tip of sharp knife. COOL on wire rack.
- Just before serving, CUT OFF 1/2 inch from top of each puff; pull out and discard any filaments of soft dough from inside. SPOON scant 1/3 cup pastry cream into each puff; replace tops. SPRINKLE tops with powdered sugar. REFRIGERATE leftovers promptly.