Total: 30 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 6 large hard-boiled EGGS, peeled and halved
- 2 large EGG YOLKS
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. black peppercorn
- 2 celery stalks, chopped into 1/8 pieces
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. chives, minced
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. hot paprika
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 loaf brioche bread, cut into thick slices
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- HEAT the white vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. STIR in 2 Tbsp. of salt, sugar and peppercorns. WHISK to combine. PLACE the celery in a medium glass bowl. When the sugar and salt have dissolved in the vinegar, TURN off the heat and POUR the mixture over the celery. SET aside.
- MIX the canola oil and olive oil into measuring cup with a spout. MINCE the garlic and SPRINKLE with 1/2 tsp. of salt. CONTINUE mincing and mashing the garlic and salt together with your knife until a paste forms. ADD the garlic paste and egg yolk to a bowl and WHISK together until combined. WHISK in mustard. Slowly DRIZZLE a few drops of the oil mixture while whisking until mixture is emulsified. Gradually DRIZZLE the rest of the oil in increments whisking constantly, ensuring the mixture does not separate. STIR in the lemon juice and zest. ADD salt to taste, if needed.
- MASH the hard-boiled eggs in large bowl with a fork. STIR in chives, pickled celery, hot paprika, 1 tsp. kosher salt, black pepper and aioli. MIX all ingredients together and ADD salt if needed.
- HEAT a large griddle. SPREAD the butter on both sides of the bread, and GRILL until golden brown and crisp.
- PLACE the lettuce and heirloom tomato on a slice of grilled bread, TOP with egg salad and then another piece of grilled bread.