When life gives you lemons, make pie! Cook up a batch of these Lemon Meringue Mini Pies for a sweet family treat today.
Total: 50 minutes
Prep: 30 minutes
- 5 large EGG yolks, well beaten
- 6 Basic Egg & Lemon Juice Mini Pie Crusts (4-inch), baked, cooled
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated lemon peel
- 5 large EGG whites, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- HEAT oven to 325°F. FILLING: MIX sugar, cornstarch and salt in large heavy saucepan. Gradually STIR IN water and lemon juice until smooth. ADD egg yolks; stir until blended. ADD butter.
- COOK over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. REDUCE HEAT; SIMMER, STIRRING constantly, 1 minute. REMOVE from heat. STIR IN lemon peel.
- Immediately make MERINGUE: DISSOLVE cornstarch in cold water in one cup glass measure. MICROWAVE on HIGH 30 seconds; stir. MICROWAVE until mixture boils, 15 to 30 seconds longer. REMOVE; COVER.
- BEAT egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, ADD sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Beating constantly, ADD cornstarch paste, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time. BEAT in vanilla.
- POUR hot filling evenly into mini baked pie crusts. Quickly SPREAD meringue evenly over filling, starting at edge and sealing to crust all around; swirl with back of spoon. BAKE in upper third of 325°F oven until lightly browned, 16 to 18 minutes. COOL on wire rack 30 minutes to 1 hour.